It’s easy to obtain a California Marriage License in any County Clerk’s office in California.
Photography By Kirk Moore To obtain a California marriage license, the bride and groom must both go to the County Clerk’s office and request one. Most people file for a public license, so that is the information we are providing. The information below is specifically for the State of California.
- Blood tests are no longer required.
- Both parties must be at least 18 years old, or otherwise have a guardian’s consent.
- Both parties must have a valid photo I. D. such as a driver’s license, military I. D. or passport.
- It is necessary to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate if your full name doesn’t appear on your identification.
- If you have been married before, you must know the exact date your previous marriage ended. If your last marriage ended within the past 90 days, you must provide a certified copy of the divorce decree.
- You must have your ceremony within 90 days of issuance of a California marriage license.
- You do not have to be a resident of California to get a marriage license here.
- You’ll receive the marriage license on the spot. It takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- A confidential license is another option for a license, but the fee for a confidential license is often higher than for a regular license. and is valid only in the county in which it is purchased.
- You will not receive anything from the County Clerk’s office automatically after your certificate is mailed in by the officiant. You must request and pay for a Certified Copy from the County Clerk’s office you received your license.
Alameda County: 1106 Madison St. Oakland, CA 94607 (510) 272-6363 Monday – Friday 8:30 am-4:30 pm California Marriage License Fee $84
San Francisco County: Make Appointment Online City Hall, Room 168 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlet Place (415) 554-4950 Monday – Friday 8 am-4 pm License Fee $83
Santa Clara County: Look for the Self Service portal link to submit your application online. 70 West Hedding St. San Jose, CA (408) 299-5669 Monday – Friday 8 am- 4:30 pm California Marriage License Fee $80
San Mateo County: Look for “ONLINE” application link. 555 County Center Redwood City (650) 363-4712 Monday – Friday 8 am-4 pm License Fee $78