For a unique wedding ceremony sequence & vows select from these wedding ceremony vows and adapt the sequence to fit your needs.Your marriage ceremony vows and wedding ceremony needs to be the way you want it to be. You can change anything to better reflect your personalities. I don’t include anything religious in these marriage and wedding ceremony suggestion, but I’m willing to include anything from your religious tradition at your request.
The Usual Sequence of the Ceremony
Your wedding ceremony can be in any sequence you choose, but the usual sequence is the following:
Presentation of the Bride by the person escorting her: (Many Brides & same-sex partners choose not to do this.)
“Who presents this woman to be married to this man.”
Welcome to family and friends:(The focus of my greeting will be on encouraging their continued love and support.)Talk by Terry:(The focus of my talk will be on love, friendship, mutual trust and respect. I will be glad to add anything else you would like.)Marriage Vows: (Choose from these vows, change them, or compose your own.)
- Do you (name) take (name) to be your lawful wedded wife (life partner)? I do. Will you love, respect and honor her throughout your years together? I WILL.Wife (Life Partner) repeats the same vows.
- (Name) do you take (name) whom you now hold by the hand to be your lawful wedded wife (life partner)? I DO. Do you promise to love and cherish her, in sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, for better for worse, and forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto her, for so long as you both shall live? I DO Bride (Life Partner) repeats the same vows.Do you mutually promise in the presence of your friends and family that you will at all times and in all circumstances, conduct yourselves toward one another as becomes Husband and Wife (Life Partners)? WE DO.Do you mutually promise you will love, cherish and respect one another throughout the years? WE DO.
- (Name)do you pledge to love (name) and throughout your years together to be honest, faithful, and kind to her. Do you pledge to give to her the same happiness she gives to you, to react to her as only you can, and to respect her for who she is, not who you want her to be? I DO.Bride (Partner) repeats the same vows.
- (Repeated to each other after me by phrases)With all my heart I take you to be my wife (life partner). I will love you through the good and the bad, through the joy and the sorrow. I will try to be understanding, and to trust in you completely. I will make you a part of me and in turn, become a part of you. Together we will face all of life’s experiences and share one another’s dreams and goals. We will be equal partners in an open, honest relationship throughout the years.Bride (Life Partner) repeats the same vows.
- (Repeated to each other after me by phrases)(Name) it is my intention to be your best friend, to respect and support you, to be patient with you, to work together with you to achieve those things that are important to us, to accept you unconditionally, and to share life with you throughout the years.Bride (Life Partner) repeats the same vows.)
- (Repeated to each other after me by phrases)I pledge to you with all my heart and being to love and support you in all ways, to my utmost capabilities, for the rest of our lives.Bride (Life Partner) repeats the same vows.)
Rings: (Choose from these or compose your own.)
- “With this ring I thee wed.”
- “With this ring I pledge my love.”
- “With this ring I pledge my commitment.”
- “With this ring I pledge my love and commitment.”
Pronouncement After the Marriage Vows:“By the authority vested in me by the State of California, witnessed by your friends and family, I have the pleasure to pronounce you husband and wife (life partners).”Kiss: “You may now seal your vows with a kiss.” Presentation: (Some couples would rather not be presented.)“And now Ladies and Gentlemen, I have the pleasure of presenting to you Mr. and Mrs. Terry Plank ” – OR – “I now have the pleasure of presenting to you Terry and Patricia, husband and wife (life partners).”